Past Minutes

/Past Minutes

Meeting Minutes for 5 April 2014

Meeting called to order by President Marilyn O’Leary.  Attending were Kim Holt, Kahla Shigeta, Lauren Aoyama’s Grandmother, Ben & Marilyn Snider, Matt O’Leary, Trevor & Kimberly Thomas, John, Karen and Dillon Kellar and Terry Watts

Minutes of last meeting read and Treasurer’s Report given.  We have $6,136.07 in the bank.

Old Business:

Boers de Mayo Show.  The entry packet is on our website under the Upcoming Shows and Events button.  This show is open to all ages for goats with ABGA registrations or pending registrations. We are doing away with cash prizes this year.   Prizes for Grand & Reserve Champions and Best Percentage, Fullblood/Purebred doe and buck will be director’s chairs with SRMGA, 2014 Boers de Mayo Show embroidered on the back.

Set up for the show will be Friday, May 2 at noon.  All we have to do is set up the arena and spread the straw around to the pens.  Marilyn will have the pens assigned.  We will need 4 or 5 people to help and it will be greatly appreciated.  Check in time for exhibitors begins at 1 pm Friday and goats will be accepted up to 1 hour before show time Saturday.  Friday arrival and check in are highly recommended, however.

The Boers de Mayo Jr Jackpot which follows the open show Saturday May 3rd will be sanctioned by JABGA and thus will follow their rules.  The rules in the entry packet are from The Rocky Mountain Youth Jackpot and may differ from the JABGA rules.  I will get the JABGA rules out as soon as I receive them from the JABGA coordinator in Texas. As stated on ABGA’s website, the goats entered must be registered in the JABGA members name only, no other family member or ranch name can be on the registration. If there is a transfer in process, bring a copy of the transfer papers and this will suffice to show proper ownership.  Winners will receive JABGA points, cash, ribbons and goat husbandry equipment. The Kellars are donating 2 belt buckles.  I have attached the entry packet for the JABGA show.  Please note the check in time of 11 am on Saturday 5/3.  All entrants must be checked in by 1 pm.

Concessions for the show will be served Saturday, breakfast, lunch and dinner and Sunday, breakfast and lunch by the Denim & Dust 4H club.  We will still have a crockpot potluck Friday night for everyone.

Oh Joy of Joys, there will be no pig weigh in to compete with us on Friday May 2 when exhibitors are bringing their goats in for the show.  As you know in years past, this has caused quite a bit of confusion, but we won’t have to deal with it this year.

There was also a discussion about allowing wethers to be sold at the show.  Any member who has extra wethers could bring them to the show.  Pens would be set up.  A list of tag numbers and the prices would be posted.  It’s too late to try this for this year and more discussion needs to be done before it’s a go for next year. Please let either Marilyn or I know your opinion and thoughts about this idea.

June Show – Judy Novak was ill and so no report on June show.

Treasure Valley Classic Jr Jackpot will be in Homedale at the Owyhee County Fairgrounds.  Maddie Fenton will be doing a fitting and showing seminar for any interested 4H and FFA members on Saturday July 12th .  The Jackpot will be Sunday July 13th.  Specific times and other details will be posted as the dates approach.

Production Sale:  A reminder, entry forms and fees will be due July 15th same as always, so we can get pedigree information to Terry Brown for the catalog.
We have some rule changes this year.  They are as follows:

1.      Entry fee will be raised to $30.00 per goat.  It will still be refunded after the sale if the goat is sold. Animals that are no saled will still forfeit their entry fee.

  1. A floor price must be placed by the consignors on each goat entered in the sale before the auction.  This can be done when the goats are checked in at the sale.
  2. If the goat doesn’t sell, the sales commission will be charged on that floor price. So, goats that are no saled will forfeit their entry fee and be charged the sales commission.
  3. Bucks will be limited to 1 per consignor.
  4. When buyers sign up for their number, they will be asked on the form, how they learned about the sale, so we can decide how best to spend our advertising dollars.
  5. Nancy Barlas has volunteered to be the pedigree/color reader for the goats as they sell.

Entry numbers will be taken on a first come, first served order up to a total of 100 head of goats for total lots to be sold with a max of 10 lots per consignor.  In order to be able to sell, you must have paid your dues by 1/31/2014.  If we don’t get 100 goats from the members who paid by then, we will take lots from members by the date they notified us they wanted to participate in the sale.  We don’t need specific goat names at this time, we just need the number of animals you want to consign.

New Business:

Facebook participation.  It was voted to limit SRMGA facebook participation to members only so it would be a membership benefit.  A sales page will be created for members to market their goats.  A sale posting must contain – a brief description, photos, registration number, age, sex, any blood tests, any obvious faults, concerns, or issues. The more professional the posting the more benefit to the member and the Association.

Sponsoring an award at the ABGA National Show.  It was decided the Association would sponsor a belt buckle for the National Show.  Cost will be $100 to $150.

Sponsoring the Regional JABGA show.  It was decided to check into what would be needed to sponsor a future Regional JABGA show.  What type of facility would be needed and the cost of the facility, number of exhibitors to expect.  How much it would cost versus the benefit to the Association.  I will talk to ABGA and find out if this is a possibility for the Association.

It was decided to change our checking account from Key Bank as I’m having trouble with them charging us extra fees.  We decided on IdaDiv Credit Union as they have no fees.  However they only send out quarterly statements and don’t have paper deposit slips on which you can list the individual checks received.  Anyway, I think we should hold off until after the show and then look around for another option.

The American Goat Federation has been calling about renewing our membership.  A vote was taken and it was decided not to renew for this year.

Meeting was adjourned and cookies were eaten.

 

Clara Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 5 April 2014 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 17 Nov 2013

Meeting called to order by Vice President Judy Novak.  Attending were Marilyn and Matt O’Leary, John, Karen and Dillon Kellar, Jean McDonald, Dane, & Debbie Lyons and their granddaughter, Wayne Gifford and Terry Watts.

Minutes of last meeting read and approved.  Treasurer’s Report, we have $5114.51  in the bank.

Show Committee:

For the Boers de Mayo show in New Plymouth, Marilyn O’Leary reported that our judges are lined up, Eddie Holland and Warren Thigpen, both from Texas.  Check in date is May 2. We will need 4 or 5 people for set up.  Shows will be Saturday May 3, with a Jr Jackpot that day after the open show, and Sunday May 4. She proposed and it was agreed on by members attending that the entry fees be raised to $10 per animal with an additional $2 late fee if entries are received after April 20th.  Director’s chairs with the Association name, show name, date and Grand or Reserve Champion embroidered on the back will be awarded for overall Grand and Reserve champions.  These will cost approximately $75 per chair. Kahla Shigeta will arrange for straw.  Marilyn will contact Brenda Scarborough to see if she can handle the raffle.

The Jr Jackpot will be for youths 8 to 18 years.  There will be a market wether class, breeding doe class and showmanship.  Karen Kellar will donate a belt buckle for the winner of the Showmanship class.

For the Boers of Summer show in Filer, it was decided to change it to an ABGA sanctioned show.  Dates will be June 20th for set up and check in, show will be June 21st and 22nd .  Entry fees would be same as Boers de Mayo, $10 per animal and additional $2 fee for  late entries.  It will be more expensive to put on another ABGA show, but hopefully this will pull in more entries and it will continue to pay for itself.

One of our members suggested we talk to the dairy and pygmy goat associations about putting on a combined goat show at the Western Idaho Fairgrounds over Memorial Day.  No decision was made, need more input from members and more information from the dairy and pygmy goat associations.

The Treasure Valley Classic Junior Jackpot will be held in Homedale at the Owyhee County Fairgrounds on July 12, 2014.  There will be Market wether classes by weight, Doe classes by age and Showmanship classes.

Production Sale Committee:

After much discussion, some major changes were decided upon for next year’s sale.

  1. Entry fee will be raised to $30.00.  It will still be refunded if the goat is sold. Animals that are not sold will still forfeit their entry fee.
  2. A floor price must be placed by the consignors on each goat entered in the sale before the auction.
  3. If the goat doesn’t sell, the sales commission will be charged on that floor price. So, goats that are not sold will forfeit their entry fee and be charged the sales commission.
  4. Bucks will be limited to 1 per consignor.
  5. When buyers sign up for their number, they will be asked on the form, how they learned about the sale, so we can decide how best to spend our advertising dollars.
  6. Nancy Barlas has volunteered to be the pedigree/color reader for the goats as they sell.

We need to limit the number of animals in the sale to around 100.  It wasn’t decided if this would be determined by first consigned and then cut off at 100 or by lowering the number of goats each consignor can enter.  It was decided to table this discussion for a later meeting.

Matt O’Leary thanked the Association for the money we gave him for his hard work, both getting animals to the ring and for loading after the sale.  He said it came just as he was buying his books for college.  He’s thinking about going into the Air Force before the next sale, so this will make for a problem loading out of the barns as he is our only dependable worker there.  We need more volunteers if we want the sale to continue.

Youth Committee:

Again after much discussion, it was voted to end the Doeling program.  It’s just not working.  It was decided we would try to put on education seminars instead.  Canyon County has 8 free days for 4H groups to use their fair building and since we’re a nonprofit and work with 4H and FFA, we would be eligible to use it.  We could put on a showing and fitting seminar and also nutrition and maintenance seminar.  Possible dates would be end of March or first part of April.  I’ll check on availability of the fair building and we’ll go from there.

No new business at this time.

Clara Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 17 Nov 2013 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 17 Aug 2013

Meeting called to order by Wayne Gifford (President Janene Jones had to go back to work for a few minutes). Present were Dale and Angie Ogden, Karen and son Dillon Kellar (and grandkids), Kahla Shigeta, Wayne Gifford, Marilyn and Matt O’Leary, Will, Heather, Hannah, Logan , Morgan Field, Janene Jones, and Ben & Marilyn Snider. It was good to see so many Junior members.

Minutes of last meeting and Treasurer’s report were given and approved. We have $6712.28 in the bank, which includes the entry fees for the Production Sale. The Boers de Mayo show and the Jackpot in May lost $136.80. The Boers of Summer in Jerome made $9.38. The Treasure Valley Classic lost $672.00, most of which was the judge’s fee and expenses. The Production Sale’s entry fees are $2310.00.

Old Business:
Youth Committee: No new applicants for the Doeling Program. Katie Drake will donate a doeling back to the program next year as she was unable to get this year’s doeling registered ABGA, due to the sire being USBGA.

Show Committee: May show was a success with more exhibitors. The Jackpot was very popular and will be held again next year. Janene Jones is resigning as the show clerk. We want to thank her for her many years of hard work and for doing such an excellent job. Marilyn O’Leary is going to take it over and has started to get judges lined up for next year. She will need help with the Jackpot as she has not done one before. Clara Askew said she would help with that. Boers de Mayo show dates for next year will be May 3rd and 4th.

Judy Novak was not at meeting, so no report on June Show.

Treasure Valley Classic Junior Jackpot was great fun for the kids who attended and showed their goats. We hope to get more exhibitors next year. It was discussed about who should be contacted to get the word about the show out. The county extension offices were notified, but it seems they didn’t pass on the information. Individual 4H leaders need to be contacted apparently to get better participation.

The exhibitor numbers and the quality of the goats at the county fairs were really up this year. Hopefully we can get a list of exhibitors from the fair superintendents and mail out flyers for the show to let the 4H & FFA kids know about the jackpots.

Sale Committee: We have approximately 130 lots in the sale this year. The partial catalog is on our website and www.boergoats.com. It is noted in the catalogs whether the goat is ABGA, IBGA or USBGA registered and this will also be announced before each lot is sold. Since we have so many goats this year it was decided to not have a raffle. Wayne Gifford has been working very hard getting everything ready. Dr. Jack Walker from Weiser will be our vet. His fee will be $40 for the visit plus $20 for the first health certificate for an out of state buyer and $5 for each additional goat for that buyer. This will be announced at the beginning of the sale so there will be no surprises when the buyers come to pay. Out of state consignors are reminded to get health certificates on their animals to bring them into Idaho.

Set up for the sale will be at 10 am Friday the 20th. We will need at least 4 people to set up the staging chute. We are buying the straw left over from the Payette Fair. There are 65 bales, but it is all in the beef barn, so if you have a straw cart or wagon, please bring it to help move the straw to the goat and sheep barns. We will have crockpot dinners for consignors and workers Friday night. Association will provide water, pop, bowls, plates and utensils. We need someone to check in the goats and check that tattoos are legible and match the papers. Steve Myers, the fairgrounds maintenance person, will help us move the bleachers and the auctioneers stand.

One of the local 4-H clubs is going to provide concessions for Saturday, breakfast burritos and lunch items. They will also have a variety of beverages.

Matt O’Leary will keep the goats in order of their lot numbers, so that transition from the barns to the sale ring moves along well. He has done this in the past and is very good at keeping everything going smoothly. Wayne is going to set up a table dedicated to phone and proxy bids. Phone numbers to be used will be published in the catalog and on the websites. Sold goats cannot be loaded until after the sale is over. As we will be using all three barns this year, goats will be loaded out of the east end of the center barn. Marilyn O’Leary will be the check-out person stationed there to collect the buyer’s slips and release the goats. A buyer check –out protocol will be given out with the buyer numbers.

New Business: The following is an article from the Capital Press; Idaho producers will find it interesting. I have been trying to get a hold of the Idaho Wool Growers both by email and by phone to no avail. Going to try individual members this week. Any feedback would be appreciated from our membership.

http://www.capitalpress.com/content/SE-goats-080213

Idaho goat producers could be assessed fee for first time
SEAN ELLIS ~ Capital Press

 

BOISE — Idaho goat producers could be required to pay a state assessment fee for the first time ever.

The Idaho Sheep and Goat Health Board has recommended assessing goats 80 cents per head at the point of sale. Fifty cents from every assessment would go to help fund predator control efforts and 30 cents would go toward helping fund the ISGHB.

The board has always been charged with regulating goat health in Idaho and ensures goats entering the state are free from scrapie, scabies or symptoms of other communicable diseases.

But until last year, the board never had the authority to assess goats, which means sheep producers financed all of the board’s efforts.

Boise area sheep producer Frank Shirts thinks it’s fair that goat producers chip in.

“I think they should,” said Shirts, a member of the Idaho Wool Growers Association’s board of directors. “The sheep man, he’s been packing the load.”

The 2012 Idaho Legislature gave the board authority to assess goats at a rate comparable to the sheep assessment (6 cents per pound of wool), and a 2013 bill allows the governor to appoint a goat producer to serve on the ISGHB’s five-member board.

The board is currently made up of all sheep producers.

Goat producers aren’t organized in Idaho.

For the goat assessment to go into effect, IWGA members must pass a resolution approving the ISGHB’s recommendation during their annual November convention.

There are about 25,000 goats in Idaho and about 10,000 are sold annually in Idaho at various livestock sales, according to ISGHB officials.

Sheep producers have recommended assessing themselves an additional 2 cents per pound of wool to help fund predator control efforts in Idaho, which have been hampered by a significant loss of federal funding since 2010.

Predators and animal health are issues for goats as well and it’s reasonable that the industry be asked to help out, said ISGHB Executive Director Stan Boyd.
“Wolves like goats, too, and so do coyotes and mountain lions,” he said. “The (board) regulates goat health also (but) has never collected anything from that industry.”

IWGA President Harry Soulen said he has not heard any opposition to the goat assessment recommendation and said that’s either because people are OK with it or they’re unaware it’s been proposed.

“I think it’s a reasonable program … and for the most part, it should be well-accepted,” said Soulen, who raises sheep near Weiser.

Tim Linquist, one of the largest sheep producers in southwest Idaho, said he wants to know more about the proposal and he doubts most goat producers are even aware of it.

“I don’t think I’m going to have a huge problem with it but I just don’t know anything about it,” said Linquist, who has about 300 goats near Wilder.
Clara Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 17 Aug 2013 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 9 March 2013

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Marilyn O’Leary, Kim Holt, Kahla Shigeta, Denise and Katie Drake and new members, George and Jean MacDonald, Emmett, ID, Ben and Marilyn Snider, Sweet, ID and John, Karen and Dillon Kellar, Nampa, ID.

Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report given, we have $5061.95 in the bank. We were able to collect the $910.00 from the insuficient funds check from the Production Sale.

Old Business:
Youth Committee: Lindy Gifford submitted a letter of resignation. Now that they are in town and no longer have goats, she doesn’t have the equipment and other things needed to assist the applicants with their projects. We still have Judy Novak and NancyJoy Craig for the Magic Valley area and Marilyn O’Leary and Angie Ogden for the Treasure Valley Area, so don’t need to ask for volunteers at this time. Marilyn will meet with Lindy and get what paperwork she has relating to the program. Dallon Johnson’s donated doe had a doeling with disqualifying teat structure, so it was sold for $200 and that money will go into the program to purchase another doeling when needed. We have no applicants at the present time.

We discussed the qualifications for a doeling to be donated to the program. It has to be registered, be at least 50% percentage Boer, have good pigment and teat structure and be disbudded. Karen Kellar asked why it needed to be disbudded. All goats have to be disbudded to be shown for 4-H & FFA at all the local fairs except Malheur County. As horn set is important in judging Boer Goats and part of their cooling system, Kim Holt asked if a letter could be written to the various Fair Boards by the Association requesting that for Boer goats that rule be addressed, and eliminated especially for the breeding classes. If a 4-H or FFA member has a Grand Champion goat that has been disbudded, that animal would not be allowed to show at Nationals. Jack Walker, a veterinarian out of Weiser, would also be contacted to write a letter regarding the harmful effects of disbudding. Karen Kellar said she would talk to her vet about writing a letter also. It’s probably too late to get anything done this year, but if we can get all the documentation together, we can work on getting the rules changed.

Denise Drake said the ABGA registered doeling that was donated to Katie was bred to a USBGA buck and she was unsure how that would affect the baby’s registration. The baby could only be registered as 50% with ABGA and could only be donated back to the program if the registration was equal to the original donated doe. So Denise is going to check with the breeders of the buck to see what his parentage was and if he could possibly be registered 100% with ABGA.

Other members are having the same situation registering with ABGA when one parent has USBGA registration. The babies have to start with a 50% registration as ABGA doesn’t recognize USBGA registrations.

IBGA is dissolving and its registrations can be transferred to either ABGA or USBGA with no change in status. From what I understand from the ABGA website, owners need to send their original IBGA registration papers and a completed ABGA registration form for each animal. The fees would be the same as any other initial registration. For USBGA, they will transfer IBGA registered goats to their registry for $3.00 until the end of March. Not sure if this is for non members of the USBGA. If you have any questions, check their websites or better yet, give either organization a call to make sure everything gets done right. As ABGA doesn’t recognize USBGA registrations, it’s best to check so there’s no confusion or at least less.

Show Committees:

Janene reported on the May 4th & 5th Show. This is an ABGA sanctioned show. Both days shows will start at 9 am this year. Deadline for entries is 4/25/13. Even though there are no late entry fees, everyone is urged to get their entries in so she can get her paperwork completed. The Jackpot for the Juniors that will be held after the open show on Saturday was explained. 80% of the entry fees plus any donations go back to the exhibitors for prizes. Kahla will take care of getting straw. For the pot luck Friday night, Marilyn O’Leary will bring chili, Kim Holt will bring taco soup, Denise Drake will bring a crockpot dish, not sure what yet. Karen Kellar will bring breakfast burritos for Saturday morning. The Association will supply pop, water, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, donuts for Saturday and Sunday morning. Any other food donations will be welcomed. If you haven’t got the entry forms for the show yet, please contact Janene or Clara. Contact information is on the SRMGA website. The entry forms should be on the website shortly.

Judy Novak was unable to attend today’s meeting, so we have no report on the June show.

There will be another Jr Jackpot, The Treasure Valley Classic, on July 13, 2013 at the Owyhee County fairgrounds. It will have showmanship, market wether and breeder classes for Jr and possibly Sr does. Don’t’ have a deadline for entries yet.

Please contact Clara Askew if you are interested in getting entry forms. Contact information is on the SRMGA website www.srmga.com

Production Sale:

Date of the sale this year is September 21st. Deadline for registration papers and entry fees is July 15, 2013, so be thinking of what you want to consign. Notify Clara Askew the number of animals you wish to consign as quickly as you know. We want only about 100 animals in the sale and we already have 15 spots spoken for. Sales this year will be limited to registered animals. To keep the interest and prices up, consignors are urged to bring their best animals. Top selling goat last year was $1750.00 and we want to do better this year.

There was no new business, so meeting was adjourned.

Clara Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 9 March 2013 2015-03-14T13:42:42+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 10 Nov 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Katie and Denise Drake, Wayne Gifford, Judy Novak and NancyJoy Craig, Terry Watt, and Kahla Shigeta. Also we welcomed new members Laurie & Megan Smith, Melba, ID and Trevor & Kimberly Thomas, Vale, OR.

Minutes of last meeting were read and approved. Treasurer’s report given, we have $3653.90 in the bank.

Old Business:

Report on Production Sale

Total Sales: $44,173.95

Total Cost of Sales: 43,100.25

Income from Sale 1,073.70 (This includes $345 from Raffle and $16.45 from donations)

Anyone wanting a breakdown of the income and expenses, let me know and I’ll get it to them.

One of our buyers vehicle was broken into on his way home and his checking account information was stolen, so his bank froze his account. His check to us for $910.00 was returned for Insufficient funds. I have been trying to collect this from him since the end of September. He keeps coming up with excuses why he can’t seem to get a new check to us. It was decided that we would give him a deadline to get the check replaced and if he doesn’t meet that deadline, we would turn the check over to the Sheriff’s office for prosecution.

Next year’s sale will be on September 21, 2013.

Marketing Report: Reference the buyer from Logan Utah that contacted Evelyn Simon, we can’t supply enough wethers to meet his demands and he doesn’t pay as much as we can get at the Treasure Valley Livestock sale in Caldwell. We just don’t have any big producers to supply a buyer like this. Most of our breeders have small herds and due to the different kidding times, it doesn’t work to try to pool for a large order. Also it was decided to do away with the marketing committee since after 6 years that the Association has been in existence, we have been unable to create any kind of viable marketing strategy.

Youth Committee: We have a new applicant for the doeling program, Rebekah Thompson, Jerome, ID. We will have a doeling available when Katie Drake’s doe kids. Katie had a question about giving back a doeling from another doe she owns rather than from the doe she was donated. As long as the doeling given back to the program is equal in registration, pigment, bite, teats and is disbudded, this will be acceptable.

Show Committee: Boers De Mayo show will by May 4 & 5. No judges yet. Janene will contact Marilyn O’Leary who was working on this to find out where we stand. We will have a Jr Jackpot show on Saturday May 4 after the regular show. It will be affiliated with the Rocky Mountain Jackpot Series. There will be a showmanship class and Market Wethers and Breeding classes. They list just Jr does on their literature, but Janene will check to see if Sr does are included.

Kim Holt and Kellly Haun put on a Jackpot show in May of last year at the Owyhee County Fairgrounds. We will check with them to see if they want to do it again. We’ll do what we can to help and it was decided that the association would arrange and pay for either a USBGA or IBGA certified judge for them.

New Business:

We discussed and then decided as it would be a benefit to all our members, we will ask the Washington members who put on the Ridgefield sale and the Oct O Boer show if they would like their upcoming events put on the SRMGA website. Probably should have done it before now.

It was decided to skip elections this year as everyone attending seems satisfied with the officers we have now. The Board of Directors list is also okay at this time. If any members who did not attend the meeting have any ideas about officer changes, please contact me or Janene and we’ll take it up at the next meeting. The officers and board members are as follows:

Janene Jones, President

Judy Novak, Vice President

Clara Askew, Secretary/Treasurer

Angie Ogden, Director

Wayne Gifford, Director

Evelyn Simon, Director

Dave Poe, Director

Next meeting will be in February 2013. Date to be determined.

Meeting adjourned.

Clara Askew

Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 10 Nov 2012 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 18 Aug 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Wayne & Lindy Gifford, Dennis & Carol Hooper, Bob & June Lee, Kahla Shigeta, Brenda Scarborough, Marillyn & Matt O’Leary, Janene & I.

Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report given. We have $3996.17 in the bank after depositing the sale entry fees.

Old Business:

May Show Committee: May 2012’s show lost $950.38. Hopefully we’ll do better next year.

Janene has decided she can continue to be our Show Clerk if she can get some help arranging for judges. Marilyn volunteered to help her with this task. They will start right away to get them lined up for next year. Also to save work, it was decided to go with cash prizes for all the awards except for the Jr showmanship.

We discussed having a Jr Jackpot show for 4-H & FFA members. This would be in addition to the two open shows we have now. Janene will contact the Rocky Mountain Jackpot organization and see if we can arrange an affiliation with them for a show for the local youths.

Brenda Scarborough will get raffle items for the show. She said it’s important for the winners to send thank you notes to the donors so they know their gifts are appreciated. We could give thank you notes with stamped addressed envelopes out with the prizes so all the winner has to do is sign it and mail it.

June Show: June 2012’s show made $21.92. Good Job. Judy Novak was unable to attend this meeting due to illness in her family. Our best wishes go out to her. Those who went to the show said it was terrific as usual. The Filer Fairgrounds is a great facility and worked very well. They had lots of good volunteers to help with food and raffle.

Marketing Committee: Evelyn was unable to attend meeting, but Wayne reported that prices have dropped locally. Texas prices are holding steady, but that doesn’t seem to have much effect on the local market. The Market Wethers at the fairs didn’t do quite as well this year except for Owyhee County. Grand Champion there went for $900 and Reserve went for $1100. All we need is for the other fair buyers to take notice.

Brenda reported a slaughter house has opened up in the Seattle area that will take wether loads if we can pool enough together to make the trip worthwhile. We discussed the difficulty in this with the small local herds and the different kidding times. This might be something we could work on for the future.

Youth Committee: Dallan Johnson as applied for another doeling. Jessica Mobley’s doe is due in September and if she has a doeling, he would get that one. Katie’s doe is ready to breed and she has made her own arrangements for a buck.

Production Sale: Most of the entries are in and paid for. Partial catalog is on the website. It will be updated as more pedigrees and pictures are sent in.

Wayne reported the fairground has new lightweight panels to build the arena out of, so we should be able to get everything set up Friday (9/21) morning. The chute is stored at Ogden’s and he will need 4 people to go get it and set it up. Ogden’s have a trailer, also John Sargent has one so arrangements can be made on Friday to get it to the fairgrounds. Wayne will spray the pens with a bleach solution to sanitize them before the sale. Kahla will arrange for straw. Matt, Markus and Tristian will help in the barn and after the sale to get buyers loaded out. Marilyn will supervise the loading out again this year. Janene say it was difficult last year to take payments while the sale was going on, so this year, payments won’t be accepted until the sale is over unless we have someone designated just specifically to accept the payments. The buyers can’t get their goats until the sale is over anyway, so this should not cause a problem. We’ll figure out a way to split the buyers up by number so several can pay at once.

A vet will be at the sale for any required health certificates.

Wayne reported we have had good response from the flyers he’s sent out.

After discussion, motion was made and seconded to require that in order to participate in the sale in the future, consignors would need to be a dues paid member by January of the year of the sale.

Meeting was adjourned. Thanks to Wayne & Lindy for being such good hosts and especially to Lindy for all the goodies. They were delicious.

Clara Askew

Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 18 Aug 2012 2015-03-14T13:43:06+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 22 Apr 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Janene, Evelyn Simon, Judy Novak, NancyJoy Craig, Wayne Gifford, Kahla Shigeta, Mary Price-Stotz and her husband Gene, and myself. Minutes of last meeting were read and approved. Treasurer’s report given and approved. We have $2935.83 in the bank.

Old Business:

Boers de Mayo Show: According to Kathy at the Fairgrounds, our insurance that we paid for on the September sale, may still be in effect. I called our insurance agent and he is checking on it. We may be able to have a yearly premium for all of our events, which would be much cheaper.

The new pens in the new (old) goat barn are almost complete. Marilyn O’Leary and her 4-H kids did a great job building and installing the side panels. The Fairgrounds maintenance man, Steve, built panels for the back and has almost all of those installed. The fronts aren’t finished yet, but should be anytime. We will use the two sheep barns first and put any overflow in the new(old) barn. The three barns are side by side, so that will make moving the goats around much easier.

Wayne has 40 bales of straw. We just need a trailer to get them to the fairgrounds. John Sargent has one, if he’s not using it, we should be able to.

The search for judges proved more difficult and expensive this year. The Sunday judge, Sherry Stevens, is firmly committed, but we don’t have the travel plans for the Saturday judge yet. Hopefully, we’ll hear soon. Next year we’ll need to start our search earlier.

Overall awards will be buckets, key holders, goat ornaments and small display pails. Division awards will be cash, same as last year. Showmanship awards will be grooming totes.

We will set up the arena on Friday morning and have crockpot items for dinner that evening. Donuts, muffins, coffee, hot chocolate and hot water for tea will available for Saturday and Sunday morning. Everyone will be on their own for lunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday. We will probably have some crockpot items left though. Janene volunteered Tristin to run the raffle. A reminder to those attending< please bring items to donate for the raffle. Wayne will be donating a custom made goat hook. June Show: The show will be at the Filer Fairgrounds this year. It is off Hwy 30 in downtown Filer. Take I-84 Exit 137, go thru Hagerman to Buhl and then to Filer. Entry forms will be on the website and can be filled out on the website. After you have filled them out on line, print a hard copy and mail them to Myra Bowman, 4260 N1500 E, Buhl, ID 83316. This info will also be available on the website. There will be a jackpot for wethers, with divisions determined by weight. Anyone under 21 years of age can show in the jackpot and showmanship classes. IBGA is setting up classes for wethers and commercial does so that they can be awarded commercial recordation points for enoblement. These will be awarded only in IBGA sanctioned shows. We will try to participate and include these classes in next year’s show. Friday night crockpot items will be supplied for exhibitors and workers. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided for Saturday and Sunday. A suggested donation of $10 per day for the meals will help pay for the food. A donation of 50 cents will be asked for the drinks. Drinks will be included with the meals for the $10 per day. Donations are encouraged for the raffle. Notify Judy as to what you have, so she can get it in the program. NancyJoy will be making quilts again this year. A-I program: This is dead in the water for now unless we can get more people interested. It is just too expensive for less than 10 people to participate. To even get on the schedule, we would have to put down a non-refundable deposit and with our other obligations, the Association can’t afford to do that unless there is a guaranteed number of people wanting to attend. Marketing Report: Goat prices are up in Texas, kids are selling for between $180 and $250 each at the San Angelo market. Boers at the Twin Falls auction are $175 for mature buck, wethers going for $160 each. Treasure Valley Livestock in Caldwell, was good last week, but it depends on which buyers are attending. When there is competition, the prices are good. Youth Program: Another application has been taken and approved for a doeling, however, we don’t have one available at this time. Anyone who can donate a papered doe, under 2 years of age, at least 50% and disbudded, please let Judy Novak or Lindy Gifford know. It’s for a good cause. Production Sale: Wayne will not be able to loan his gate this year as he’s using it at his new place. Also he will not be able to store the staging alley. We will need a member to volunteer to store it at the their place. We can decide at the show who will get the honor. NEW BUSINESS: Evelyn Simon recommended we join the American Boer Goat Federation. The dues are $100 per year. The motion was made and seconded. I’ll take care of it next week. Wayne is going to check on a House Bill that was before Idaho’s legislature this year requiring blood tests on all goats coming across state lines. He believes it has passed, but will check to make sure and what the exact requirements are going to be. It has been rumored that the state will be getting more stringent about checking for health certificates on out of state goats. So, even though the Association doesn’t require them for the shows or sale, it is up to the exhibitor or sellers to provide them according to state regulations. Judy is going to check with the dairy goat folks about their convention in October regarding our Association hosting the hospitality room for one day to promote meat goats. They have asked us to participate, we just don’t have all the details yet. We would like to thank Evelyn Simon for hosting our meeting. Good timing on the part of one of her does who gave birth to triplets, two of which arrived during the meeting. Mother and kids are doing well. A little bonus for those who attended the meeting. Next meeting will be in July, date and place to be determined. See you all at the show! Clara Askew Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 22 Apr 2012 2015-03-14T13:43:40+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 28 Jan 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Denise and Katie Drake, Marilyn O’Leary, Wayne & Lindy Gifford, Gary & Clara Askew and new member Kahla Shigeta. Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report, we have $3413.83 in the bank, with a check for $200 to Judy Novak for a doeling for the for the Youth program and a deposit for 2012 dues.

Old Business:

Show committee: Dates are set for Boers de May show are 5 & 6 May 2012. No judges determined yet. Possibilities were discussed. We will go with cash prizes again. Discussion about building pens for new goat barn at fair grounds . It was decided if we could get enough 4-H and FFA members to help, we could do it. I will contact Kathy at the fairgrounds to find out what all will be need to be done. Wayne Gifford will supervise the workers. Wayne will also be able to supply straw for the show.

As Judy Novak had a barn burn down yesterday, we have no report on the June show at this time. She is fine and her goats are fine, but the shed was a total loss.

Youth Committee: Dallen Johnson is still uncomfortable with birthing out his doe by himself, so Lindy is going to help. As we need for more 88%+ disbudding doelings for the the program, a question about changing the doeling qualifications to 50% was brought up. That would open the restrictions so more donations can possibly be made. Lindy will bring it up before the Youth Committee Board

Marketing Report: E-mail from Evelyn Simon as follows:

We continue to receive calls from people looking to start into the meat goat business, and people looking for bucks (not papered, even weanlings), and bred does. Papers not necessary. We have a deposit for 5-6 bred does and later on an unrelated buck too, as a starter herd for a couple in Utah. I am looking for a buck that would work for them, he should be fullblood Boer.

A couple months ago we put together a half dozen bucks for a commercial goat operation in Whitebird, ID. We found some nice ones (thank you, Patsy & Kim!) and could have used more. We learned there are a lot of bucks in southern Idaho that should be wethers-without fail they were only a small part Boer, and that ‘back yard type’ running with a couple of family does. Afterwards we wished we’d bought them anyway, for sausage, and to get them out of the gene pool!

One call a couple weeks ago was from a man in upstate New York that will be out this way in April. He is looking for 10-20 breedable does and an unrelated buck. Papers not necessary. He mentioned High percentage, purebred, Boer cross. He used to have meat goats and family had 350 acres, and now he has young children and wants to start a herd of meat goats. I’ve sent his information to Yvonne at Smoke Ridge in Montana also. Sean Mills 315 576 1413. seanmil21@aol.com

Here’s the webpage for the Meat Goat Handbook. Yvonne said they cost $19.99 each if buying 2 or more, and that price includes shipping. You can also ask her to autograph them, she did for the four I got. I also see them on Amazon, and the Goat Rancher sells them too. (Amazon would be my last choice…. to help out the goat folks buying direct from them is better) http://www.smokeridge.net/meatgoathandbook.htm

We also discussed having calendars made for a fund raiser. Evelyn has a contact that can make them for $3 each cost to us. She will find out about having it be an 18 month calendar so we can sell them at the May show.

Janene checked about the AI Clinic. Prices have gone up, $1500 to $1900. We would have to pay per diem, travel and accommodations. So it would be more expensive, so we would need more people to participate in order for it to be cost effective. We would need a fairgrounds type area. The goats would have to be housed for 2 days. A covered area would be needed to set up 7 AI stands. Janene will send out a flyer to find out how many people interested. We would have to make a $200 deposit which we would lose if we can’t get enough participants.

New Business: Treasure Valley Dairy Goat Assoc is having their national convention in Boise this year. They’ve invited us to host the hospitality room one day. The dates are October 14 thru 20th. We would have to provide snacks & drinks for visitors. In order to have enough food and drink, we would have to have an idea how many people usually attend. We could man the room in shifts, so no one would have to be there all day. USBGA will also be holding a judging certification. They will need 4 kids, 4 yearlings, 4 mature does and 4 mature bucks from different herds There will be 2 types of training, one for certification and one for audit. We will need to check & see if they’re having classes on Sunday or if that’s a good day for us to host. We also need to find out where the room will be as the flyer says that the convention is at the Riverside Motel. Janene will check for more information.

I went to the seminar put on by the Idaho Dept of Agriculture about Q fever on the 8th. It was informative in that I found out most goats carry Q fever antibodies, which doesn’t mean they have the actual disease. Goat milk can be tested for the antibodies. You would need to send it to the Dept of Agriculture on Penitentiary Rd in Boise. You can comingle the milk from a group of goats and freeze it in a leakproof container for mailing. This test costs $17.00. If Q fever antibodies are present, then a test on individual goats can be done and sent to Cornell University to see if the actual bacteria is present. This test costs $30.00. There was a lot of information shared in the course of the talk and I’m not a very good note taker. So, if you have questions, the contact person is Dr Scott Leibsle at Idaho Dept of Ag. I did speak to him about giving his talk at our show and he said he’d be glad to. So Saturday, May 5 after the show is over, we’ll arrange to have one of the 4-H buildings available for him.

Wayne will have some goat equipment for sale. Contact him for items and prices. He has a goat cam and grooming stand.

It’s time to pay your 2012 Association Dues. They are $20 for the year for individuals and $25 for 2 adults or and adult and child.

Next meeting will be in April. I’ll let everyone know when the date and place are set.

Clara Askew

Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 28 Jan 2012 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 21 Oct 2011

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Katie & Denise Drake, Angie Ogden, Nancy Joy Craig, Evelyn Simon, Lindy & Wayne Gifford, Marilyn O’Leary, and Judy Novak.

Minutes read and approved, Treasurer’s report given, We have $3561.60 in our account at this time. Association income for 2011 is $1514.04, so we are in good shape for the May Show.

Old Business: Sale Report: Sale went very well. Items discussed for next year. Find out about having pictures taken of high selling animals with buyers and sellers after sale. Problem with that is everyone is anxious to get loaded and on their way. We need to emphasize that it is the buyer’s responsibility to know the regulations of the state they will be taking the goats they purchase to and what tests are needed to meet those requirements. It was decided per Terry Brown’s suggestion; there will not be an extra charge for photos in the catalog next year. It was suggested we contact local high schools for students that need to complete their community service requirements for helpers for set up for sale and show. We discussed whether to continue to accept credit cards at the sale as we only had 2 buyers last year and one buyer this year use them. It was decided it was worth the expense for the convenience of the buyers.

Terry Brown also suggested we set up a live chat network from the website for members. We’ll check with Becky to see if that’s possible.

Marketing Committee: Evelyn gave a report on her open house. She applied and received a grant to help with the expenses for it. Attendance was good. Food was very good. We discussed working on doing another open house at one of our other breeders’ farm this year. A PowerPoint presentation will be attached when minutes are emailed out.

Show Committee: The Fairgrounds are building a new goat barn, so the dates for show are tentatively the 5th and 6 of May, depending on whether the barn is ready. Also, we want to avoid the date of the

4-H and FFA pig weigh-in

Jerome Show: Dates will be June 23 & 24th. There are only pens for 50 goats at Jerome. Judy will check about using Filer fairgrounds. It is more complicated to get to. Prices, Jerome is $200. Filer is $500, but no set up would be required. So if it looks like we will have more than 50 animals, Judy will reserve the Filer Fairgrounds. MSMGA will support the Jackpot wether show. We discussed the possibility of using RV’s for judges quarters as the closest motels would be in Twin Falls. The show will be IBGA sponsored and they will accept any other registration. Judy talked about possibly having costume class.

Youth Committee: This years doeling was received from Dallen Johnston. It went to Jessica Mobley. The doeling Wayne & Lindy donated went to Josh Miller in Jerome. We have 4 applications at this time and the farms will need to be inspected. We need more goats donated. We do have $200 in the youth fund from the sale of the doe that was given back last year so one could be purchased if needed. Donated doelings must be registered at least 88% and disbudded. The applicants must be youth member and pay $5.00 for the application process. We need to establish a list of members who would offer buck services for the donated doelings. The does will need to be brought to buck. Boarding would not be charged. Need to notify Becky to take the mentoring guidelines off website. We don’t want the application on website as it has to be obtained from active member. Regulations will need to be put on website. If any members are interested in mentoring, donating a doeling and/or donating buck service, let someone on the youth committee know.

New Business: Nomination of Officers

Nominations were as follows:

President: Janene Jones

Vice President: Judy Novak

Secretary/treasurer: Clare Askew

Board Members: Dave Poe, John Sargent, Evelyn Simon, Wayne Gifford, Angie Ogden, and Marilyn O’Leary . Junior member who will be non- voting, Katie Drake

We will continue to accept nominations for 2 weeks. If no other nominations are received, the above nominations will automatically stand as elected officers.

Anyone interested in an A-I class, let Janene know. The class costs $1000.00. It will need to be held at someone’s farm. To make it cost effective, 10 people will be needed . Biogenetics in Salmon will put it on. Evelyn Simon volunteered to have it at her place. SRMGA can host and pay for it if there is enough interest. Then attendees will pay the association.

USBGA judging clinic will be held in Boise this summer. We would need to supply goats for the clinic, It will be held in conjunction with the Dairy goat show. Judy will check into how much it will cost a person to be certified.

Next meeting: January 21, location to be determined. Probably at Wayne & Lindy’s if not sold.

Clare Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 21 Oct 2011 2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 17 July 2011

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending are Terry Watts, Dave Poe, John Sargent, Titania Preston, Marilyn & Matt O’Leary, Judy Novak, Nancy Joy Craig, Diane Flournoy, Wayne & Lindy Gifford and new members Del & Angie Ogden.

Minutes of last meeting were read and approved, Treasurer’s report given, we have $2235.38 in the bank. The Jerome show was a financial success. With the raffle and food donations, we made over $600.00. Basically the difference is in what we paid for judges. Good work Judy and NancyJoy.

Old Business:

Marketing Committee. Evelyn Simon was unable to attend, she’s recuperating from surgery. She reported by email that their “Goat Meat Is Great” open house/’farm tour/tasting event is September 17th, 1 pm to 6 pm. An invitation will be emailed out shortly. She will have 1 or 2 chefs that will be preparing several prime Boer wethers for all to try. They’ll have educational materials to share. This event is the result of a grant from USDA. There will probably be a reporter there and some media coverage. She suggested we get some info together about the SRMGA to pass out among the guests.

Goat prices and holding pretty well locally. Kids averaged $1.40 to 1.80 per lb at last weeks sale.

Rob & Michelle Stokes, members from Vale OR, are selling their home grown goat meat, beef, pork and eggs at the Saturday farmer’s markets in Boise and Nampa. They are selling at least ½ a goat a week and say it’s getting better all the time.

Show Committees:

For the June IBGA show, Judy reported that exhibitors were down but the number of goats shown was about the same. She said they had better wether and showmanship classes this year. It was marvelous that the show made money. The May show did much better financially this year except for $300 bad check that we’ve been unable to collect.

Production Sale:

We have less goats consigned this year. At last tally, it looks like we’ll have about 75. Hopefully that will keep the prices up. In order to determine which consignor would be lot #1, all the consignors’ names were put in a hat and one was drawn out. As we all held our breath, Leslie Bader-Robinson’s name was drawn. One of her fine goats will have the dubious honor of being #1. We got a price quote from Leslie for advertising. She got prices for running the ads for 2 or 3 weeks and in 14 or 15 papers. We decided on 3 weeks in 14 papers. We also need to look into advertising in Eastern Idaho, Montana & Utah. An ad will be put in the Nevada Rancher out of Winnemucca. Plus, I’ll get it on Craig’s list.

We’ll set up the sales arena, bleachers and alley way Friday afternoon, September 9th. We will have Crockpot items for dinner Friday night for the consignors and work crew. Saturday morning there will be donuts and breakfast type items, coffee and hot water for tea and cocoa. The auction will start on 1 pm, so we won’t have to break for lunch. The raffle will be held at 12 noon. That way we won’t have to interrupt the auction or add to the confusion of having it after the auction.

Youth Committee:

We had a good discussion about deciding whether or not The Doeling Program should be continued. A vote was taken and it was decided to keep it going. Terry Watts will no longer be able to help, with being a 4H leader for both horses and goats and working full time, her plate is just too full. We really appreciate all the time and effort she has put into making this program work. A new committee of Lindy Gifford, Marilyn O’Leary, Judy Novak, and NancyJoy Craig was set up. They will review the application rules and contracts. These will then be sent to Becky Gates to put on the website.

New Business:

Wayne Gifford has the names of a couple of people who are looking for goats. Contact him at 278-5023 if you have any to sell.

Meeting was adjourned.

Clare Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 17 July 2011 2015-03-14T13:44:03+00:00