Meeting Minutes for 23 August 2014

/, SRMGA News/Meeting Minutes for 23 August 2014

Meeting Minutes for 23 August 2014

Meeting called to order by President Marilyn O’Leary.

Attending were Matt O’Leary, Marie Beatty, Tawnya and Nani McKague, Koben & Kahla Shigeta, Wayne Gifford, Trevor and Kimberly Thomas and their son.

Minutes of last meeting read and approved.

Treasurer’s report, we have $7170.32 in the bank which includes the entry fees for the Production Sale.

Old Business:

Boers de Mayo Show & Jackpot took in $4629.00 in entry fees and raffle. Expenses were $4935.45.  Loss on show $306.45, which is pretty much what we pay to have the barns cleaned.  It was discussed to possibly raise entry fees or charge a cleaning fee.  Also possibly not print a catalog as they’re usually not complete what with late entries and such. So, we need to have more discussion and make some decisions before the next show. There was discussion about selling wethers at the show.  It was decided we probably would not do that.  The Jackpot was JABGA sanctioned.  This did not work well. We didn’t get the ribbons until the Friday before the show on Saturday. They only supplied ribbons for the breeding classes and we had to pay postage to ship the ribbons we didn’t use back to them. We had to buy ribbons for the showmanship and market wether classes. It was a good thing there is an awards store in New Plymouth.  This probably had something to do with the show losing money as this was an expense we didn’t count on when figuring cash prize amounts. Unless someone can think of some really good reasons, next year the jackpot will be sanctioned by Rocky Mountain Jackpots only.

Boers of Summer show took in $3201.75.  Expenses were $3149.00. The profit was $52.75. Good Job Magic Valley Members.  This was their first ABGA sanctioned show and it was good.

Treasure Valley Classic Youth Jackpot took in $1185.00, expenses were $1747.25.  Loss was $562.25.  We didn’t charge for the Fitting and Showing clinic.  We may have to do that next year.  Also I was told by some of the participants, less money prizes and more ribbons and trophies. We’ll look into that.  Also, we discussed having a one day function, with fitting and showing demonstrations in the morning and the show in the afternoon.  We might get more exhibitors and we should be able to get done by around 5 or 6 pm.  Need more input and ideas.  We want to thank Maddie Fenton for the excellent job she did with the fitting and showing seminar at this year’s show.

Production Sale Committee: 

We have 101 goats consigned.  The partial catalog is on the website and will be going on boergoats.com this week.  Set up for the sale will be Thursday, September 18th at 6:30 pm, please try to come help if you can. Check in for consignors will be Friday September 19th from 12 noon.  We will need someone to check condition and tattoos on the goats as they come in. Preview for buyers starts at 9 am Saturday morning with the sale starting at 12 noon. We will not be having a crockpot potluck Friday night as members attending the meeting have other duties that afternoon and evening and will not be able to bring anything. Garbonzos, The Double Diamond and The Burger Den are open in town and there are resturants in Ontario for anyone needing an evening meal.  Concessions for sale day will be provided by the Denim & Dust 4H club, breakfast items and lunch. Dr. Walker will do our health checks again this year for goats going out of state. As we always seem to be short of people to help load goats at the end of the sale, it was decided to pay 2 of Matt’s FFA friends $50 to help.  Rope halters will be provided to lead the goats from the pens to the vehicles to be loaded.  There is a lightweight aluminum ramp at the fairgrounds that we think can be used to load goats into pickups.  Wayne will bring a sprayer so we can disinfect the pens Thursday night when we do set up.

Show Committee:

The Association did sponsor an award for the Nationals.  We did not get any feedback from the show. No thank you or any acknowledgement.

We again discussed having a Regional JABGA show.  Without more participation from members it was decided this would not be possible. Discussion tabled at this time.

New Business:

We need better member attendance at our meetings. A few of us are deciding everything for the majority. If anyone has any ideas how to get better attendance, let Marilyn or I know.

Meeting was adjourned.

Clara Askew
Secretary/Treasurer

Below is a report from Kahla Shigeta about the Western Idaho Fair.  Information that needs to be discussed about next year.

I went to the Western Idaho Fair today and talked to a gal named Sandy Miller. She was in charge of the goats at WIF. She was also the one clerking for the ADGA show that was being sanctioned at the WIF today. What I learned from her today was that if you do a show during the Western Idaho Fair there are no fees for renting anything. The exhibitors just have to pay $3 a goat to get them in. I assume there aren’t any stall or cleaning fees either. The only problem is they have to figure out how to accommodate us. This year during the first week of fair they had open stalls. I got real excited talking to this gal about this and then she dropped the bomb shell on me. NO BUCKS. The reasoning, because they stink and the people visiting the fair won’t like that, so as long as Sandy Miller is running the show over there, there will be no bucks. She said she doesn’t care if the goats have horns, and she understands that bucks are a huge part of the boer breed, but she feels as though she needs to keep the spectators in mind. I argued the pigs are just as stinky, but I also noticed that they don’t have the pens to properly house bucks. Something we’d have to address. The rules are, we have to exhibit for 3 years, and then the WIF will take over all fees. Like today the WIF paid for the ribbons and judge for the ADGA show. So we would have to come up with the fees for the judge ourselves for 3 years and then the WIF would take the costs. SOOO horns are allowed and the gal said she wouldn’t be frustrated to see them, (I’d have to attend a meeting to make sure it would be okay) and they would try to make space for us to be there, we just can’t bring bucks. I don’t know if the SRMGA wants to pay for a judge to just judge does, but I also think in this area most of the members show mainly does. It’s something where if we got into it and got our foot in the door it could change a lot of what goes on over there at the WIF. I heard they had a lot of trouble this year in 4-H and FFA, and it could be an all expense paid sanctioned show after 3 years if it’s successful.

If we wanted to do a show at the Western Idaho Fairgrounds, to rent half the barn is 1200-1600 for the weekend. To use the sheep barn and pens she said around $600 but I’d have to get a hold of the fairgrounds. She said we may be able to work out a contract or a deal where it is cheaper for us so long as we do it for so many years.  http://expoidaho.com/images/stories/facilities/rateschedule12.pdf
That is their rental rates.

She said maybe we could do it during memorial weekend with them, they have the Syringa show there. We could rent the whole barn and split the costs. I talked to Kelly about it and she thinks we should go for it during the fair, that way we don’t have to pay for the venue. And if that is something we are interested in I have to get in contact with Sandy and see how many pens she can get us. Only problem is it would have to be just does… Unless I can go above her to whoever and try to get bucks in, but like I said they aren’t set up for bucks. Those pens are too light duty grade.

2017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00