Meeting Minutes for 18 Aug 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Wayne & Lindy Gifford, Dennis & Carol Hooper, Bob & June Lee, Kahla Shigeta, Brenda Scarborough, Marillyn & Matt O’Leary, Janene & I.

Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report given. We have $3996.17 in the bank after depositing the sale entry fees.

Old Business:

May Show Committee: May 2012’s show lost $950.38. Hopefully we’ll do better next year.

Janene has decided she can continue to be our Show Clerk if she can get some help arranging for judges. Marilyn volunteered to help her with this task. They will start right away to get them lined up for next year. Also to save work, it was decided to go with cash prizes for all the awards except for the Jr showmanship.

We discussed having a Jr Jackpot show for 4-H & FFA members. This would be in addition to the two open shows we have now. Janene will contact the Rocky Mountain Jackpot organization and see if we can arrange an affiliation with them for a show for the local youths.

Brenda Scarborough will get raffle items for the show. She said it’s important for the winners to send thank you notes to the donors so they know their gifts are appreciated. We could give thank you notes with stamped addressed envelopes out with the prizes so all the winner has to do is sign it and mail it.

June Show: June 2012’s show made $21.92. Good Job. Judy Novak was unable to attend this meeting due to illness in her family. Our best wishes go out to her. Those who went to the show said it was terrific as usual. The Filer Fairgrounds is a great facility and worked very well. They had lots of good volunteers to help with food and raffle.

Marketing Committee: Evelyn was unable to attend meeting, but Wayne reported that prices have dropped locally. Texas prices are holding steady, but that doesn’t seem to have much effect on the local market. The Market Wethers at the fairs didn’t do quite as well this year except for Owyhee County. Grand Champion there went for $900 and Reserve went for $1100. All we need is for the other fair buyers to take notice.

Brenda reported a slaughter house has opened up in the Seattle area that will take wether loads if we can pool enough together to make the trip worthwhile. We discussed the difficulty in this with the small local herds and the different kidding times. This might be something we could work on for the future.

Youth Committee: Dallan Johnson as applied for another doeling. Jessica Mobley’s doe is due in September and if she has a doeling, he would get that one. Katie’s doe is ready to breed and she has made her own arrangements for a buck.

Production Sale: Most of the entries are in and paid for. Partial catalog is on the website. It will be updated as more pedigrees and pictures are sent in.

Wayne reported the fairground has new lightweight panels to build the arena out of, so we should be able to get everything set up Friday (9/21) morning. The chute is stored at Ogden’s and he will need 4 people to go get it and set it up. Ogden’s have a trailer, also John Sargent has one so arrangements can be made on Friday to get it to the fairgrounds. Wayne will spray the pens with a bleach solution to sanitize them before the sale. Kahla will arrange for straw. Matt, Markus and Tristian will help in the barn and after the sale to get buyers loaded out. Marilyn will supervise the loading out again this year. Janene say it was difficult last year to take payments while the sale was going on, so this year, payments won’t be accepted until the sale is over unless we have someone designated just specifically to accept the payments. The buyers can’t get their goats until the sale is over anyway, so this should not cause a problem. We’ll figure out a way to split the buyers up by number so several can pay at once.

A vet will be at the sale for any required health certificates.

Wayne reported we have had good response from the flyers he’s sent out.

After discussion, motion was made and seconded to require that in order to participate in the sale in the future, consignors would need to be a dues paid member by January of the year of the sale.

Meeting was adjourned. Thanks to Wayne & Lindy for being such good hosts and especially to Lindy for all the goodies. They were delicious.

Clara Askew


Meeting Minutes for 18 Aug 20122015-03-14T13:43:06+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 22 Apr 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Janene, Evelyn Simon, Judy Novak, NancyJoy Craig, Wayne Gifford, Kahla Shigeta, Mary Price-Stotz and her husband Gene, and myself. Minutes of last meeting were read and approved. Treasurer’s report given and approved. We have $2935.83 in the bank.

Old Business:

Boers de Mayo Show: According to Kathy at the Fairgrounds, our insurance that we paid for on the September sale, may still be in effect. I called our insurance agent and he is checking on it. We may be able to have a yearly premium for all of our events, which would be much cheaper.

The new pens in the new (old) goat barn are almost complete. Marilyn O’Leary and her 4-H kids did a great job building and installing the side panels. The Fairgrounds maintenance man, Steve, built panels for the back and has almost all of those installed. The fronts aren’t finished yet, but should be anytime. We will use the two sheep barns first and put any overflow in the new(old) barn. The three barns are side by side, so that will make moving the goats around much easier.

Wayne has 40 bales of straw. We just need a trailer to get them to the fairgrounds. John Sargent has one, if he’s not using it, we should be able to.

The search for judges proved more difficult and expensive this year. The Sunday judge, Sherry Stevens, is firmly committed, but we don’t have the travel plans for the Saturday judge yet. Hopefully, we’ll hear soon. Next year we’ll need to start our search earlier.

Overall awards will be buckets, key holders, goat ornaments and small display pails. Division awards will be cash, same as last year. Showmanship awards will be grooming totes.

We will set up the arena on Friday morning and have crockpot items for dinner that evening. Donuts, muffins, coffee, hot chocolate and hot water for tea will available for Saturday and Sunday morning. Everyone will be on their own for lunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday. We will probably have some crockpot items left though. Janene volunteered Tristin to run the raffle. A reminder to those attending< please bring items to donate for the raffle. Wayne will be donating a custom made goat hook. June Show: The show will be at the Filer Fairgrounds this year. It is off Hwy 30 in downtown Filer. Take I-84 Exit 137, go thru Hagerman to Buhl and then to Filer. Entry forms will be on the website and can be filled out on the website. After you have filled them out on line, print a hard copy and mail them to Myra Bowman, 4260 N1500 E, Buhl, ID 83316. This info will also be available on the website. There will be a jackpot for wethers, with divisions determined by weight. Anyone under 21 years of age can show in the jackpot and showmanship classes. IBGA is setting up classes for wethers and commercial does so that they can be awarded commercial recordation points for enoblement. These will be awarded only in IBGA sanctioned shows. We will try to participate and include these classes in next year’s show. Friday night crockpot items will be supplied for exhibitors and workers. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided for Saturday and Sunday. A suggested donation of $10 per day for the meals will help pay for the food. A donation of 50 cents will be asked for the drinks. Drinks will be included with the meals for the $10 per day. Donations are encouraged for the raffle. Notify Judy as to what you have, so she can get it in the program. NancyJoy will be making quilts again this year. A-I program: This is dead in the water for now unless we can get more people interested. It is just too expensive for less than 10 people to participate. To even get on the schedule, we would have to put down a non-refundable deposit and with our other obligations, the Association can’t afford to do that unless there is a guaranteed number of people wanting to attend. Marketing Report: Goat prices are up in Texas, kids are selling for between $180 and $250 each at the San Angelo market. Boers at the Twin Falls auction are $175 for mature buck, wethers going for $160 each. Treasure Valley Livestock in Caldwell, was good last week, but it depends on which buyers are attending. When there is competition, the prices are good. Youth Program: Another application has been taken and approved for a doeling, however, we don’t have one available at this time. Anyone who can donate a papered doe, under 2 years of age, at least 50% and disbudded, please let Judy Novak or Lindy Gifford know. It’s for a good cause. Production Sale: Wayne will not be able to loan his gate this year as he’s using it at his new place. Also he will not be able to store the staging alley. We will need a member to volunteer to store it at the their place. We can decide at the show who will get the honor. NEW BUSINESS: Evelyn Simon recommended we join the American Boer Goat Federation. The dues are $100 per year. The motion was made and seconded. I’ll take care of it next week. Wayne is going to check on a House Bill that was before Idaho’s legislature this year requiring blood tests on all goats coming across state lines. He believes it has passed, but will check to make sure and what the exact requirements are going to be. It has been rumored that the state will be getting more stringent about checking for health certificates on out of state goats. So, even though the Association doesn’t require them for the shows or sale, it is up to the exhibitor or sellers to provide them according to state regulations. Judy is going to check with the dairy goat folks about their convention in October regarding our Association hosting the hospitality room for one day to promote meat goats. They have asked us to participate, we just don’t have all the details yet. We would like to thank Evelyn Simon for hosting our meeting. Good timing on the part of one of her does who gave birth to triplets, two of which arrived during the meeting. Mother and kids are doing well. A little bonus for those who attended the meeting. Next meeting will be in July, date and place to be determined. See you all at the show! Clara Askew Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Minutes for 22 Apr 20122015-03-14T13:43:40+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 28 Jan 2012

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Denise and Katie Drake, Marilyn O’Leary, Wayne & Lindy Gifford, Gary & Clara Askew and new member Kahla Shigeta. Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report, we have $3413.83 in the bank, with a check for $200 to Judy Novak for a doeling for the for the Youth program and a deposit for 2012 dues.

Old Business:

Show committee: Dates are set for Boers de May show are 5 & 6 May 2012. No judges determined yet. Possibilities were discussed. We will go with cash prizes again. Discussion about building pens for new goat barn at fair grounds . It was decided if we could get enough 4-H and FFA members to help, we could do it. I will contact Kathy at the fairgrounds to find out what all will be need to be done. Wayne Gifford will supervise the workers. Wayne will also be able to supply straw for the show.

As Judy Novak had a barn burn down yesterday, we have no report on the June show at this time. She is fine and her goats are fine, but the shed was a total loss.

Youth Committee: Dallen Johnson is still uncomfortable with birthing out his doe by himself, so Lindy is going to help. As we need for more 88%+ disbudding doelings for the the program, a question about changing the doeling qualifications to 50% was brought up. That would open the restrictions so more donations can possibly be made. Lindy will bring it up before the Youth Committee Board

Marketing Report: E-mail from Evelyn Simon as follows:

We continue to receive calls from people looking to start into the meat goat business, and people looking for bucks (not papered, even weanlings), and bred does. Papers not necessary. We have a deposit for 5-6 bred does and later on an unrelated buck too, as a starter herd for a couple in Utah. I am looking for a buck that would work for them, he should be fullblood Boer.

A couple months ago we put together a half dozen bucks for a commercial goat operation in Whitebird, ID. We found some nice ones (thank you, Patsy & Kim!) and could have used more. We learned there are a lot of bucks in southern Idaho that should be wethers-without fail they were only a small part Boer, and that ‘back yard type’ running with a couple of family does. Afterwards we wished we’d bought them anyway, for sausage, and to get them out of the gene pool!

One call a couple weeks ago was from a man in upstate New York that will be out this way in April. He is looking for 10-20 breedable does and an unrelated buck. Papers not necessary. He mentioned High percentage, purebred, Boer cross. He used to have meat goats and family had 350 acres, and now he has young children and wants to start a herd of meat goats. I’ve sent his information to Yvonne at Smoke Ridge in Montana also. Sean Mills 315 576 1413.

Here’s the webpage for the Meat Goat Handbook. Yvonne said they cost $19.99 each if buying 2 or more, and that price includes shipping. You can also ask her to autograph them, she did for the four I got. I also see them on Amazon, and the Goat Rancher sells them too. (Amazon would be my last choice…. to help out the goat folks buying direct from them is better)

We also discussed having calendars made for a fund raiser. Evelyn has a contact that can make them for $3 each cost to us. She will find out about having it be an 18 month calendar so we can sell them at the May show.

Janene checked about the AI Clinic. Prices have gone up, $1500 to $1900. We would have to pay per diem, travel and accommodations. So it would be more expensive, so we would need more people to participate in order for it to be cost effective. We would need a fairgrounds type area. The goats would have to be housed for 2 days. A covered area would be needed to set up 7 AI stands. Janene will send out a flyer to find out how many people interested. We would have to make a $200 deposit which we would lose if we can’t get enough participants.

New Business: Treasure Valley Dairy Goat Assoc is having their national convention in Boise this year. They’ve invited us to host the hospitality room one day. The dates are October 14 thru 20th. We would have to provide snacks & drinks for visitors. In order to have enough food and drink, we would have to have an idea how many people usually attend. We could man the room in shifts, so no one would have to be there all day. USBGA will also be holding a judging certification. They will need 4 kids, 4 yearlings, 4 mature does and 4 mature bucks from different herds There will be 2 types of training, one for certification and one for audit. We will need to check & see if they’re having classes on Sunday or if that’s a good day for us to host. We also need to find out where the room will be as the flyer says that the convention is at the Riverside Motel. Janene will check for more information.

I went to the seminar put on by the Idaho Dept of Agriculture about Q fever on the 8th. It was informative in that I found out most goats carry Q fever antibodies, which doesn’t mean they have the actual disease. Goat milk can be tested for the antibodies. You would need to send it to the Dept of Agriculture on Penitentiary Rd in Boise. You can comingle the milk from a group of goats and freeze it in a leakproof container for mailing. This test costs $17.00. If Q fever antibodies are present, then a test on individual goats can be done and sent to Cornell University to see if the actual bacteria is present. This test costs $30.00. There was a lot of information shared in the course of the talk and I’m not a very good note taker. So, if you have questions, the contact person is Dr Scott Leibsle at Idaho Dept of Ag. I did speak to him about giving his talk at our show and he said he’d be glad to. So Saturday, May 5 after the show is over, we’ll arrange to have one of the 4-H buildings available for him.

Wayne will have some goat equipment for sale. Contact him for items and prices. He has a goat cam and grooming stand.

It’s time to pay your 2012 Association Dues. They are $20 for the year for individuals and $25 for 2 adults or and adult and child.

Next meeting will be in April. I’ll let everyone know when the date and place are set.

Clara Askew


Meeting Minutes for 28 Jan 20122017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 21 Oct 2011

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Katie & Denise Drake, Angie Ogden, Nancy Joy Craig, Evelyn Simon, Lindy & Wayne Gifford, Marilyn O’Leary, and Judy Novak.

Minutes read and approved, Treasurer’s report given, We have $3561.60 in our account at this time. Association income for 2011 is $1514.04, so we are in good shape for the May Show.

Old Business: Sale Report: Sale went very well. Items discussed for next year. Find out about having pictures taken of high selling animals with buyers and sellers after sale. Problem with that is everyone is anxious to get loaded and on their way. We need to emphasize that it is the buyer’s responsibility to know the regulations of the state they will be taking the goats they purchase to and what tests are needed to meet those requirements. It was decided per Terry Brown’s suggestion; there will not be an extra charge for photos in the catalog next year. It was suggested we contact local high schools for students that need to complete their community service requirements for helpers for set up for sale and show. We discussed whether to continue to accept credit cards at the sale as we only had 2 buyers last year and one buyer this year use them. It was decided it was worth the expense for the convenience of the buyers.

Terry Brown also suggested we set up a live chat network from the website for members. We’ll check with Becky to see if that’s possible.

Marketing Committee: Evelyn gave a report on her open house. She applied and received a grant to help with the expenses for it. Attendance was good. Food was very good. We discussed working on doing another open house at one of our other breeders’ farm this year. A PowerPoint presentation will be attached when minutes are emailed out.

Show Committee: The Fairgrounds are building a new goat barn, so the dates for show are tentatively the 5th and 6 of May, depending on whether the barn is ready. Also, we want to avoid the date of the

4-H and FFA pig weigh-in

Jerome Show: Dates will be June 23 & 24th. There are only pens for 50 goats at Jerome. Judy will check about using Filer fairgrounds. It is more complicated to get to. Prices, Jerome is $200. Filer is $500, but no set up would be required. So if it looks like we will have more than 50 animals, Judy will reserve the Filer Fairgrounds. MSMGA will support the Jackpot wether show. We discussed the possibility of using RV’s for judges quarters as the closest motels would be in Twin Falls. The show will be IBGA sponsored and they will accept any other registration. Judy talked about possibly having costume class.

Youth Committee: This years doeling was received from Dallen Johnston. It went to Jessica Mobley. The doeling Wayne & Lindy donated went to Josh Miller in Jerome. We have 4 applications at this time and the farms will need to be inspected. We need more goats donated. We do have $200 in the youth fund from the sale of the doe that was given back last year so one could be purchased if needed. Donated doelings must be registered at least 88% and disbudded. The applicants must be youth member and pay $5.00 for the application process. We need to establish a list of members who would offer buck services for the donated doelings. The does will need to be brought to buck. Boarding would not be charged. Need to notify Becky to take the mentoring guidelines off website. We don’t want the application on website as it has to be obtained from active member. Regulations will need to be put on website. If any members are interested in mentoring, donating a doeling and/or donating buck service, let someone on the youth committee know.

New Business: Nomination of Officers

Nominations were as follows:

President: Janene Jones

Vice President: Judy Novak

Secretary/treasurer: Clare Askew

Board Members: Dave Poe, John Sargent, Evelyn Simon, Wayne Gifford, Angie Ogden, and Marilyn O’Leary . Junior member who will be non- voting, Katie Drake

We will continue to accept nominations for 2 weeks. If no other nominations are received, the above nominations will automatically stand as elected officers.

Anyone interested in an A-I class, let Janene know. The class costs $1000.00. It will need to be held at someone’s farm. To make it cost effective, 10 people will be needed . Biogenetics in Salmon will put it on. Evelyn Simon volunteered to have it at her place. SRMGA can host and pay for it if there is enough interest. Then attendees will pay the association.

USBGA judging clinic will be held in Boise this summer. We would need to supply goats for the clinic, It will be held in conjunction with the Dairy goat show. Judy will check into how much it will cost a person to be certified.

Next meeting: January 21, location to be determined. Probably at Wayne & Lindy’s if not sold.

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 21 Oct 20112017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 17 July 2011

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending are Terry Watts, Dave Poe, John Sargent, Titania Preston, Marilyn & Matt O’Leary, Judy Novak, Nancy Joy Craig, Diane Flournoy, Wayne & Lindy Gifford and new members Del & Angie Ogden.

Minutes of last meeting were read and approved, Treasurer’s report given, we have $2235.38 in the bank. The Jerome show was a financial success. With the raffle and food donations, we made over $600.00. Basically the difference is in what we paid for judges. Good work Judy and NancyJoy.

Old Business:

Marketing Committee. Evelyn Simon was unable to attend, she’s recuperating from surgery. She reported by email that their “Goat Meat Is Great” open house/’farm tour/tasting event is September 17th, 1 pm to 6 pm. An invitation will be emailed out shortly. She will have 1 or 2 chefs that will be preparing several prime Boer wethers for all to try. They’ll have educational materials to share. This event is the result of a grant from USDA. There will probably be a reporter there and some media coverage. She suggested we get some info together about the SRMGA to pass out among the guests.

Goat prices and holding pretty well locally. Kids averaged $1.40 to 1.80 per lb at last weeks sale.

Rob & Michelle Stokes, members from Vale OR, are selling their home grown goat meat, beef, pork and eggs at the Saturday farmer’s markets in Boise and Nampa. They are selling at least ½ a goat a week and say it’s getting better all the time.

Show Committees:

For the June IBGA show, Judy reported that exhibitors were down but the number of goats shown was about the same. She said they had better wether and showmanship classes this year. It was marvelous that the show made money. The May show did much better financially this year except for $300 bad check that we’ve been unable to collect.

Production Sale:

We have less goats consigned this year. At last tally, it looks like we’ll have about 75. Hopefully that will keep the prices up. In order to determine which consignor would be lot #1, all the consignors’ names were put in a hat and one was drawn out. As we all held our breath, Leslie Bader-Robinson’s name was drawn. One of her fine goats will have the dubious honor of being #1. We got a price quote from Leslie for advertising. She got prices for running the ads for 2 or 3 weeks and in 14 or 15 papers. We decided on 3 weeks in 14 papers. We also need to look into advertising in Eastern Idaho, Montana & Utah. An ad will be put in the Nevada Rancher out of Winnemucca. Plus, I’ll get it on Craig’s list.

We’ll set up the sales arena, bleachers and alley way Friday afternoon, September 9th. We will have Crockpot items for dinner Friday night for the consignors and work crew. Saturday morning there will be donuts and breakfast type items, coffee and hot water for tea and cocoa. The auction will start on 1 pm, so we won’t have to break for lunch. The raffle will be held at 12 noon. That way we won’t have to interrupt the auction or add to the confusion of having it after the auction.

Youth Committee:

We had a good discussion about deciding whether or not The Doeling Program should be continued. A vote was taken and it was decided to keep it going. Terry Watts will no longer be able to help, with being a 4H leader for both horses and goats and working full time, her plate is just too full. We really appreciate all the time and effort she has put into making this program work. A new committee of Lindy Gifford, Marilyn O’Leary, Judy Novak, and NancyJoy Craig was set up. They will review the application rules and contracts. These will then be sent to Becky Gates to put on the website.

New Business:

Wayne Gifford has the names of a couple of people who are looking for goats. Contact him at 278-5023 if you have any to sell.

Meeting was adjourned.

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 17 July 20112015-03-14T13:44:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 12 Mar 2011

Meeting called to order by President Janene Jones. Attending were Wayne & Lindy Gifford, Judy Novak, NancyJoy Craig, John & Cheryl Sargent and Marilyn O’Leary. Minutes of last meeting were read by Secretary Clara Askew and approved. Treasurer’s report given, we have $2048.74. The bank has been charging us a monthly service fee for use of credit cards at the September sale. I’m working with the bank to get them to refund it. If I can’t get it refunded, we may have to take it out of my wages.

Old Business:

Youth Committee: Lindy Gifford said one of our participants in the Doeling Program, Dallen Johnston, doe had triplets. Judy Novak said we need to have applications for the doeling program put on the website. Also she suggested we change the link name from Doeling Program to Youth Activities so that it will be more evident this is a youth program. She also suggested it would be nice to have a link on website for Youth Program with a sublink for the doeling program with pictures of the kids participating in the showmanship class.

Marketing Committee: Evelyn Simon was not able to attend the meeting because she is in the middle of kidding. But she sent a report on her local market. At the Twin Falls Auction, 6 Alpine bottle bucklings sold for $20 to $27.50 each, 3 Boer bottle bucklings, same age as alpines (1 week max) sold for $50 to $60 each. Boer and Boer cross wethers, young does, good butcher goats, under one year, $130 to $150; Commercial Boer cross does, $125 to $140; commercial dairy does, $95 to $125; Spanish cross does, $90, some of these were pretty nice looking; Spanish cross does with kids, $130 to $140; Pygmy/Boer cross withers/does/yearling size $75; Pygmy little bucks/wethers/kids $10 to $15, none of these were nice, just kinda rough; and a horned Alpine buck $85.

She also said she has been taking a weekly workshop at the U of I extension in Twin Falls and learned that if you are audited by the IRS for not showing a profit year after year, it will help validate your efforts as a business if you have a Business Plan. There’s a great website to create one, https://www/ Also, you should have a separate checking account for the business, it can help to show you are acting as a business, not just an expensive hobby.

Wayne Gifford reported that there are 2 men buying cull goats and butchering them at home illegally to sell. They are undercutting price that the buyers who are using USDA butchers have to charge. So if someone comes to your farm wanting to buy your culls, kind of question whether they are going to be for home consumption or for sale because this hurts all of us on our marketing. He also reported that Del Treasure is paying about 90 cents less than the Caldwell auction.

Show Committee: Judy Novak on the June Show – It will be 2 IBGA Shows, so all registrations will be accepted. Everyone is encouraged to attend. It is a very nice show for smaller breeders. Dates are 25th and 26th of June. Entry forms will be on the website. Deadlines will be on website also. There will be a raffle. A quilt for each day, with IBGA colors. Weather vanes with goats on them. Sponsors for classes will be accepted. Ads will be full page $20, ½ 12.50 (4×7). Business card $7.00. Full page back cover $40.00 (first come first serve for first 2 (for each days program) Food will be provided, Friday night will be potluck. Saturday and Sunday will have hamburgers and hotdogs for donation. Breakfast, biscuits and gravy and sweet rolls. Also donations. Need a board with each class designated for the winners to hold when their pictures are taken. Entries deadline 6/10.

May Show: Judges John and Jackie Edwards from Texas, $1500 total for their fee. There will be no sale pens this year. If you have an animal for sale, just put a sign on the pen. As this is an ABGA sanctioned show, only ABGA registered goats can be entered. Ads and award sponsors and entry fees are due by 4/25. The Showmanship classes will be open to any youth. The fee is $2 and it will be the first class each day. The VFW will not be have their food booth open this year. So, Friday evening dinner will be crockpots with stew, soups, anything that can be eaten in a bowl and dinner rolls. There will be a hospitality table with hot water for cocoa and tea, coffee, muffins, cookies, chips, etc for both Saturday and Sunday. We will accept donations for these items. Saturday evening we will have a collection for pizza for anyone interested. Lunch break will be 1 hour and this will give everyone time to get their own. A list of available restaurants and their locations will be posted. Set up will be on Thursday evening, May 5, before the show. It was decided an evening set up would allow more members to come and help. Everyone is encouraged to buy ads and sponsor awards as this helps pay for the show.

Sale Committee: Sale Date September 10, 2011. Consignors have to be Association Members. Anyone interested in consigning, contact Clara Askew, No decision has been made about numbers yet until we see how much interest there is. The final deadline to submit paperwork on consignments will again be July 15, 2011. So, start making your plans.

Next meeting will be in June 4 in Jerome at Judy Novak house. A reminder will be sent out with the time and address.

Don’t forget 2011 Association dues, $20 for individual, $25 for two and $40 for farm. If you no longer wish to be a member, please let me know and I’ll take you off the mailing list.

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 12 Mar 20112017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 16 Oct 2010

Meeting called to order by President Wayne Gifford. Present were Stormy Slate and her dad Bruce, Janene Jones, Dave Poe, Edgar Edmondson, NancyJoy Craig, Judy Novak, Lindy Gifford and Terry Watt. Minutes of last meeting read and approved. Treasurer’s report given. Income from production sale was $3812.90, expenses were $2936.04, leaving a net income of $876.86. This included the sale of the doe returned from the doeling program. Our bank balance at this time is $2179.76.

Old Business:

Doeling Program: Terry Watt completed the Mentor guidelines in draft form. Mentors and the Junior Members who get doelings are to give quarterly reports about what is happening with the animal. Until the contract is fulfilled, we need to keep track of the youth and the goat to make sure the guidelines of the program are followed. The participants in the program are to come to the spring show and show their animals. Applications need to be submitted by November 30, so there will a month to approve the application and inspect their farm before the doelings are awarded in January. Any member donating a doeling will then have time to choose what they’re going to donate and get them disbudded. The Guidelines for the program and mentors are attached to the minutes if members have email. If no email, members will receive a hard copy of both.

Sale Report:

Everyone agreed that the sale went well this year. We spent $1,262.64 on advertising this year and it appears to have paid off. Wayne Gifford said he felt that we couldn’t have done much better if it had been a DVauction and it would have been a lot more expensive. We would still have to pay for advertising plus paying DVauction for their services. Also, there is the possibility of all sorts of unknowns if we try to set up our own online service. So, it was decided that next year, the sale would be handled the same way, just advertise the heck out of it, bring in quality animals and we should continue to improve our bottom line. The food service went well Friday night, but Saturday, we ran out of everything. Linda Hernandez volunteered to be in charge of food for next year’s sale. With one person keeping track of what we need and the donations, it should go better on sale day. One problem discussed was the loading of the animals after the sale. The buyers want to get out as soon as they can and it causes chaos in the barns. It was suggested that we have only one exit and load out only one person at a time like is done at the livestock sales. It would take longer, but it would sure be easier on our barn crew. Also, maybe a portable ramp could be built for loading into pickups. There will be more discussion about this before the next sale. Perry & Terry Parker of Parker’s Gourmet Goats are going to donate a fullblood doe to be auctioned off at next year’s sale, with the profits going to the Association. They will bring her to the May show so everyone can see her. This is really terrific and we appreciate it greatly.

Marketing report:

Prices have dropped at the Saturday sale on does, but wethers and bucks prices are still holding at around $1.20 per pound.

Show Report:

Since we lost money on last year’s show, we discussed what we could do to save money and still have a quality show for next year. It was decided to have 2 ABGA shows in May like we always have. Then USBA and IBGA shows in Jerome in June. We will also set up a contract for judges with a fee of $800 apiece maximum. We discussed paying cash rather than trophies for prizes next year. We could pay $20 for Grand and $15 for Reserve in each division and then award show leads for Best Percentage Doe, Best Fullblood/Purebred doe and Best Fullblood/Purebred buck. We really need to sell more ads in the catalog and have more award sponsorships. Any suggestions or comments about these plans, please let Janene Jones, our show clerk, know.

New Business:

Nominations of Officers: President: Janene Jones. Vice President: Toby Young & Judy Novak. Secretary/Treasurer: Clara Askew & Lindy Gifford. Nominations can be done by email to or postal service to SRMGA, 5180 SE 1st Avenue, New Plymouth, ID 83655 and they will be open until 11/15. Ballots will be mailed out at that time to be counted at the December meeting.



Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 16 Oct 20102017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 4 Sept 2010

Meeting called to order by President Wayne Gifford. Attending were Janene Jones, Marilyn O’Leary, with 3 potential junior members from her 4H group, Stormy Slate and her dad, Bruce, Bob & June Lee, Dave Poe, Edgar Edmundson, Terry Watts and Becky Gates. Minutes from last meeting and Treasurer’s Report were read by Secretary/Treasurer Clara Askew. They were approved as read.

Old Business:

Production Sale: Catalog is on the website. Good Job kudos to Terry Brown for all her work. Edgar Edmundson suggested that the color of the goat be added to the template. He also suggested everyone get their consignments in sooner so Terry wouldn’t have to keep asking for templates and pictures. Set up at the Fairgrounds will be Thursday morning, September 16, at 8 am. All we need to do is set up the sales ring, move the bleachers and set up the alley from the barn to the sales ring. If you are free that morning, please come and help. The more hands we have, the quicker and easier we can get it done. The VFW food booth will not be open this year. So, Friday night starting at 6 pm, we will serve hamburgers, salads and chips for the consignors and work crew. Saturday morning, we will have muffins, donuts, coffee and whatever else we can come up with for breakfast. Since the sale seems to lose momentum if we break for lunch and since it starts at noon, we will not break for lunch this year. We’ll have snack items and beverages available for the buyers. We cannot charge for the food, but we can take donations. We’ll put out a donation jar and hope we break close to even on the food.

Check in is after 2 pm on Friday the 17th. We will need a crew for health inspections, checking tattoos and putting lot number tags on the goats as they arrive. Let Wayne Gifford know if you can volunteer for this. Consignors are reminded they are responsible for getting their goats from the barn to the alley leading into the sales ring on sale day. Toby Young, Matt O’Leary and Robert Stromberg will be in the barn to make sure everything goes smoothly. We will have a veterinary available sale day if health certificates are needed. Payment for this service will need to be worked out between the buyer and the seller. The Association is not responsible for paying for the health certificates. Becky Gates volunteered to read the pedigrees if needed at the sale.

Spring Show: The show will be May 7th & 8th, 2011. We should avoid the pig weigh in by having it on this date. The Spring Fair for 4-H and FFA are this weekend though, so that will cause some conflict for our Junior Members who are showing at both events. So, we may need some volunteers to show their animals at our show. Judy Novak asked that we consider having an IBGA show one of the days. Janene Jones, our show secretary, said she had been thinking about having 2 ABGA shows one day and the IBGA show the other day. It was decided to think it over, consider the expenses and discuss it further at the next meeting. Wayne reported that ABGA has the only affiliate program for meat goat associations. We still need to check with ABGA and see what benefits if any are available to us as an affiliate. Bruce Willoughby, out of Utah, is our new ABGA representative.

Junior Doe Program: Terry Watts, June Lee and Judy Novak have been working on the Doeling Program. New requirements and application information are available on request. Terry is working on the revisions and they will be emailed out as soon as they are completed. We have gotten one doe back and it is being bred at Wayne’s now. It was decided we would sell it at the production sale and the money would be used for any expenses the doeling program might incur. We will need mentors for any junior members who qualify and receive a doe in the future. So think about helping out as these kids are the future of our industry.

New Business:

Becky Gates, our Webmaster, gave a report on what it would take to set up our own video streaming on the web. We could have our sale, shows, meetings, clinics and anything else we wanted streamed over the internet. The hosting cost would be $371.40, per year which includes 30 GB disk space, (additional space is .82 a month per GB), and data transfer allowance would be 300 GB, (additional transfer .15 a month per GB). We would get a dedicated IP address. We could have 100 Simultaneous users, $15 per 50 for additional users and hosting of the domain name. If we broadcast next year’s auction, we would have to work out how online bidders would register their bids. Becky was asked to give us a bid on what her fee would be to set it all up. It was decided we would need to do a lot of testing before we would attempt to broadcast a sale. We will talk more about the possibilities at the next meeting.

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 4 Sept 20102015-03-14T13:44:51+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 6 Jun 2010

Meeting called to order by President Wayne Gifford. Minutes of last meeting and Treasurer’s Report read and approved.

Old Business:

Show Report: The Boers de Mayo Show made $3042.00 and expenses were $4232.17, so our net loss was $1190.17. We need to get more awards sponsored and more ads. We may eliminate the division awards unless they are sponsored and just have overall awards. Also, we had fewer spectators this year, not sure if it’s just the economy or if we need to advertise more. The raffle brought in $320 which is included in the profit. Any ideas about how to make the show more profitable, or at least break even, are welcomed. Next was discussion about USBGA registered animals not being allowed to show. It was decided as long as we continue to have a ABGA show here and have a USBGA and IBGA show in Jerome that should take care of everyone. Linda Hernandez will check with USBGA and see what the benefits are of being affiliated with them and Wayne Gifford will check with ABGA and see what the benefits are there. We are currently affiliated with ABGA. This costs $75 per year and we are listed in their magazine. It was also decided that entries would not be accepted unless they are accompanied by a check. We discussed the problem with the 4H and FFA pig weigh in that occurs at the same time as our show check in on the Friday before the show. This causes a lot of traffic congestion and there was a problem of children running around in the barns. Marilyn O’Leary will check with the 4H coordinator and see if something can be done to better direct traffic. We discussed changing the date of the show, but there are other conflicts for either earlier or later dates. So we will see if there’s a better way to work with them. Janene Jones, Lynn Fowler, Noreen Stromberg and Robert Stromberg were thanked for their hard work and the great job they do putting on the show and they promised they would be available next year to do it again.

Jerome Show: Early entries for Jerome show due by June 12th. Show is June 26th & 27th. Everyone is encouraged to attend whether you have entered any animals or not. We need to give them all the support we can. They are having 2 USBGA shows on Saturday and 1 IBGA show on Sunday. All the information about the show is on our website, along with entry forms.

Production Sale Report: The Annual Fall Production Sale will be 9/18/10 at 12 noon and it will be broadcast on DVAuction. There is also a sale in Indiana on DVAuction that day at 12, but ours will start 2 hours later than theirs due to the time difference. As we only have about 75 lots consigned at this time, it was voted on and approved to allow up to 15 animals to be entered per consignor, however, the amount of bucks per consignor will still be limited to 2. Anyone wanting to consign more animals, should let me know as soon as possible. If you haven’t entered any animals yet and wish to consign, also, let me know right away. We want to have at least 100 lots in order for the sale to break even. We need to check with DVAuction and/or with the Exhibitor’s Edge sale coordinators about the dimensions and height of the sales ring, so if we have to build one, it will fit the requirements. It was agreed that the minimum bid will be $200 and individual consignors can set their minimums higher if they need to.

Consignment entries are due by July 15. Consignment fees are $40 per animal and pictures for the catalog will cost an extra $10 apiece. Consignors will need to send their check and a copy of the registration papers to me,

Clare Askew, 5180 SE 1st Avenue, New Plymouth, ID 83655 by July 15, 2010.

If the registration is pending, a copy of the application with the pedigree information will be accepted. Consignors, if you have already paid your reservation fee of $5 per head, you will only need to pay $35 per head in July. Terry Brown is doing our catalog again this year. Thanks Terry. If anyone has any questions, or suggestions, please let Wayne or I know. We will need to advertise as much and as effectively as possible to make this sale a success. Linda Hernandez will bring breakfast items for the morning of the sale. We can’t sell them, but donations can be taken. We have hamburger makings left from the show and we may use these to feed consignors who come in Friday night.

We will have our next meeting in August, date to be set later. Meeting was adjourned .

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 6 Jun 20102017-12-01T20:04:03+00:00

Meeting Minutes for 20 Mar 2010

Meeting called to order by President Wayne Gifford, minutes of last meeting read and approved, treasurer’s report read and approved.

Old Business:

Elections results, Wayne Gifford, President, Janene Jones, Vice President, Clare Askew, Secretary/Treasurer. Board Members, Lynn Fowler, Linda Hernandez, John Sargent, Dave Poe, Judy Novak, Dennis Hooper

The amended Bylaws were read, discussed. Motion was made and seconded to approve amendments as read.

Show Committee: Janene Jones – All registrations, IBGA, USBGA and ABGA will be accepted for the show. Since it is an ABGA sanctioned show, only ABGA registered animals will get points. There will be a showmanship class on Sunday after the regular show that is open to all youth. These animals will housed in a separate area. There will be a Costume class will be held on Saturday, so plan to dress up like your goat. Saturday judge will need to be picked up at airport and shuttled around, Lindy Gifford agreed to be the taxi service. Rooms will be booked at Holiday Inn in Ontario, rooms for the Saturday Judge for Friday and Saturday, and for the Sunday Judge for Saturday and Sunday. The Association will buy buns and burgers and KFC for the work crew and exhibitors for Friday night. The price for the Pizza for Saturday evening dinner will be prepaid along with entry fees. Lynn Fowler will check on straw and make arrangements for hauling it. Judy Novak will take pictures again and Cheryl Sargent will handle the raffle. Everyone needs to remember to bring items to donate for the raffle. Set up for the show will be done Friday morning after 8 am before check in at noon. Budget for awards will be up to $1000. Ads will be put in Capital Press and on Boer

Judy Novak on June show – Annette Maze and Marie Layman will be Saturday show judges and Pat Ariaz is the Sunday judge. Check in on Friday, June 25th after 12:00. There will be a Jackpot meat goat class for animals under a year. There will be a weigh in before classes. There will be 3 classes, light, medium and heavy. There will be an extra charge for meat and showmanship classes of $2.00 for each entry in each class. These classes are not going to be for only 4-H or FFA, there won’t be an age limit. The classes will be broken down into Junior and Senior and Adult. USBGA has a champion challenge if the animals have been winners before, then the past winners are taken out of the regular classes. They then go into the champion challenge class and go against the winner of their class that day. There will be a class for 3-4 yr and 4-5 years old does. There will also be a judging clinic after the show on Saturday, for $20 to $25 to taught by the Saturday judges, Marie and Annette, to show how the animals are judged.

Marketing: Evelyn Simon was not able to attend as she is birthing babie. She has MSMGA minerals available in 50# bags for $22 for does and $23 for bucks. The mineral also comes in blocks, but she doesn’t know the weight or price of those yet. Anyone interested, contact her. There was a meat goat seminar in Indiana, this month, but the board decided not to send Evelyn as it is unknown what our expenses for the shows and sale will be this year and we don’t want to run short of money. Dave Poe is selling 7 to 10 goats a month to a local market. He would like 100 to 110# animals and will pay $1 per pound live weight. He will take does, bucks or wethers. He then gets them butchered in Nampa and then they go to his buyer and he is paid hanging weight. He wants to be able to supply 10 per month all year which means that his supplies need to breed so animals are available every month. This same buyer told Dave he can get frozen Australian goat for $2.17 per pound shipped in. This is very hard if not impossible for local breeders to compete with. Treasure Valley Livestock sales yard prices have been very high the last few weeks. Buyers from Montana and Nevada are bidding up the local buyers. Check with Wayne Gifford as his brother works at the sales yard and knows when the out of town buyers are there.

Sale Committee: We have 84 consignments so far for the sale; we would like at least 16 more so the fee per animal can be kept down. We are on the DV auction schedule, but have not got a contract from them yet. We will have to pay $1300, ½ of their fee when we sign the contract. Anyone wanting to consign animal’s needs to contact Clara Askew @ or (208) 278-3859. Consignments will close July 15, 2010.

Junior Advisor: Terry Watts and Judy Novak will take over the doeling program for junior members. Canyon County will be having a meat goat show, we don’t know how many entries, Payette County has 6 entries and Washington County has 14, no report on Malheur County. A discussion was held about setting up an information booth at the various fairs. It was decided it was a very good idea and we should work on putting it together.

Ryan Kish wants to set up field day with shows and seminars for adults and kids, sometime this summer at the Owyhee county fairgrounds in Homedale.

That’s all for this meeting. Hope everyone’s’ kidding is going well. We’ll see you all at the show in May.

Clare Askew

Meeting Minutes for 20 Mar 20102015-03-14T13:45:08+00:00